November 28, 2012

Daddy's Tribute to his Late Mom 'My Grand Ma'

Love, Inspiration, Memories.....

Tribute to my mother OTUNBA (MRS) MOJOYINOLA ASHABI SOFOWORA. (OTUN IYALAJE & OTUNBA YEYELORO OF AGO-IWOYE) as she was laid to rest on SATURDAY 17th NOVEMBER, 2012.

MY MOTHER

On Monday 13th August, 2012, Dimeji and I stood by your bedsid

e at LASUTH watching helplessly as you struggled not to leave us. We too did not want you to leave us but it was totally beyond our power, the one that is mightiest than all was ready to take you, to end the struggle, the suffering and give you permanent peace.
The night before you went into coma, I was with you, around 8:30 pm you said you wanted to go and sleep and gave me two wrappers that I should cover you with the wrappers. I covered you with one and turned back to leave but you said I should also cover you with the second wrapper, jokingly I asked if you wanted two wrappers to sleep and you said yes. I didn't immediately know you were bidding Dimeji and myself goodbye and made me perform a final act on behalf of the two of us.

You lived a good life, a life of hard work, a life of achievements, a fulfilled life in all ramification.

You "rose" from a roadside cooked beans seller, to a school food vendor ( I was helping
you count your kobo, kobo, one penny coins) to a plastic wares seller (I was helping you count your shilling coins) to a merchandiser in flour and others Commodities (We were helping you write cheques, count your pounds and later naira notes, and taking the ones we needed) and then to an industrialist: MAS SOAP, MAS VEGETABLE OIL, MAS BREAD. (we were no longer helping you, there were Managers and Bank officials)
That was your entrepreneurial life, a woman who never saw the four walls of a classroom.

Ashabi, you were a very caring daughter to your parents, a loving sister to your siblings. A shinning example to your friends, neighbours, tenants, church members, business associates and everyone that came into contact with you.

Ye Toyin, I don't know of any woman that can surpass you in total dedication, total submission, total care and giving all to the husband. You were not only a wife to Chief Nelson Olawumi Sofowora, the first Olootu of Ago-Iwoye but you SERVED him till he breathed his last on March 30, 1990. Throughout his illness you abandoned your business and neglected your own health. The trauma you went through during that period ruined your business and took toll on your health. You were never the same again until you join him 22years after.


Mummy, words can not describe you as a mother. You are a jewel, you are incomparable, just too loving, there was nothing too much for you to give your children. You had no girl therefore Dimeji and myself were always decked in gold neck chains and wrist watches and hand chains. When we asked for money, instead of querying what we wanted to do with it you will ask if it will be enough. You were always there for us. It did not matter to you that I was working in a bank you continued buying this and paying for that even over two years into my married life until I stopped you. You showed unparalleled love, you gave all you had for us to have a good life.
As much as you wanted to, you did not have the opportunity to go to school but you loved education, you were ready to train us to the highest. You encouraged me to resign from Central Bank of Nigeria, three months after I started work in 1980 for my Master's degree by giving me monthly allowance equivalent to the monthly salary I was earning. After that you motivated me to go for my PhD.D by buying me a brand new car in 1981. I collected the car but I didn't go for the PhD.D. But Mummy I am sure it will please you to know that I eventually started the PhD.D programme before you left.

I thank God for making you my mother, for the love, care and training you gave me.

By the Grace of God the world will know that a woman once lived here and her name was ASHABI.

Today you are being committed to mother earth, I thank God that you led a very good and eventful life, you came to this world and you achieved, made positive impact on lives, and LIVED A LIFE THAT MATTERS. You came to the world unsung, but you are departing today in pomp and pageantry and the heavens are blazing forth.

SLEEP WELL ASHABI, SLEEP WELL IYA TOYIN, SLEEP WELL MY MOTHER.
I CAN NEVER FORGET YOU.

OLOOTU OLADIPUPO OLUWATOYIN SOFOWORA
(SON)

No comments:

Post a Comment