January 16, 2013

First Times



There’s always a first time for everything we do in life.  Some we recollect and some we don’t. For everything we do so effortlessly now, there was a first time. On the first attempt we were maybe nervous, indifferent or excited about it but then, it was a big deal.
Remember your first kiss or was it the first time you drove a car which seemed like such a herculean task and you could almost have had a heart attack!. What about the first day at work on your first job? Gosh! You were so shy and everything felt strange. You were excited and looked forward to building a career as well as gain independence. I was so ecstatic the first day I permed my kinky hair back in 2001, when I just concluded High School.  My mum allowed me perm my hair; it was like I was crossing over from childhood into adulthood and I felt so good about it. So many first times and I could go on and on. All these things have now become normal and I do them without any form of nervousness, fear or excitement. Going to the salon to have a perm is a routine that takes place about every quarter and I attach no form of importance to it.
I ask myself, what if there are no more first times for anything and all I do is basically the same thing which becomes a routine. You know it gets to a point whereby nothing seems new again and then life becomes just like a broken record; it plays and repeats itself over and over and over again. What if I keep trying new things, visit somewhere I have never been to each year, cook a meal  have never had before, take up a course out of my turf,  be adventurous and look out for something different? Maybe then I can keep having a continuous loop of first times which never ends.

The first time you fell in love, it felt like that was the only one person in the whole wide world you could be with. Well, just only a very little percentage of people get married to their first love and what then did you do when you got heartbroken? Oh yes, you cried, you screamed, you sulked, you hated but yet still, you moved on after some time and maybe even fell in love again. Again, your heart broke and then you repeated the process all over again. Maybe you forgave maybe not but you moved on and loved somebody else even after the previous went bad.
I am not afraid to try something new, there’s nothing to it and there are 2 options; I love it or I don’t; it goes well or it doesn’t but the bottom line is that I tried anyway. From my point of view, I just feel that it makes life exciting and less monotonous when we consciously push away our fears as well as walls we have built around us and try something we have never done before.
Although, only few things in the world are novelty but the fact is everyone gets the chance to experience it for the first time and feel or learn something different. The first times always seems the hardest but take a chance and do it anyway!         

9 comments:

  1. The initial awkwardness applies to anything you undertake, but you have to be willing to go through that awkward stage in order to become proficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good write up, yes i totally agreed with you, in this life there is always a first time for everything. We all have to strive in all our endeavours to make sure we surpass those initial tendencies or first steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True Talk!
    Really nice write up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece.

    It is always nice to take on new challenge(s)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Subomi, this is lovely! Keep it up dearie. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a bunch. A big amen also

    ReplyDelete