November 11, 2011

THE RACIST IN US

Going to work on a cold Wednesday morning, mom dropped me off at the usual spot along the way. I stopped by at a Quick Service Restaurant to grab a cup of coffee and doughnuts, crossed and walked to the bus stop to take a bus. Yaba! Palmgroove a conductor screamed!! Quickly I got to the bus and tried to open the front door but it was locked. I then beckoned the driver to open and then he said, ''Ko sise, e bo si eyin.'' (The door isn’t working) Saying nothing I jumped unto a seat at the back and he repeated same when an elderly woman tried opening the front door as well.

And alas a man in uniform came around and quickly, the driver unbolted the door! I was surprised and asked him, "Sebi e so pe ilekun yen o sise?" (I thought you said the door couldn't open) but He just ignored me. I shook my head, smiled and turned to look at the elderly woman and she was laughing as well.

The fact is that there is a racist deep inside each and every one of us. Yes there is! It is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities which are entirely due to their race; so the dictionary says. Whether you discriminate based on colour, gender, age, achievements, or status, discrimination is discrimination. To me it is! Ehn ehn. You do not have to agree.

You walk into a bank and because you are maybe a driver dressed in your uniform, the teller doesn’t even say a good morning and is all grumpy without even the patience to help you. You look back and wonder if this was the same lady who attended to you 'cos you can see her shinning her 32 'cos there’s a nicely dressed TD&H man standing right in front of her ....lol

Even in hospitals!!! Haba! Nurses! This particularly in Government owned hospitals; the commoners are treated like prisoners. Some years back, I had an appointment with the ENT in LASUTH and as I walked down the reception hall way I could hear the groaning of a woman in pains. I walked towards the direction of the noise and there I saw a woman in labour. She was not on a wheel chair, neither was she on a bed or a stretcher; there she was crying and groaning whilst the nurse rained insults on her. ..........and there we go saying One nation! We are brothers and sisters!! Na so. Yimu!
Moreover, Oyinbo would come to our country and we treat them like eggs, give them all the care and comfort, lodge them in world class hotels but can't do same for our own not even considering the fact that it isn’t vice versa. The circle is broken, therefore, who am I to judge anyone. Those discriminating acts may seem so very little but discrimination is discrimination to me. A sin as little as lying in the sight of God is not less than stealing or murdering.
Roger that!
My thots

3 comments:

  1. I don't think this is about racism. It is more about favoritism. The act of choosing what pleases one selfishly against the desires of others who are deserve it more. Unfortunately, this is more prevalent in developing countries than any where else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment SynJyde
    We have all grown having such selfishness imbedded in us and this has no geographical boundary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...hmmm... well nailed analysis of the Naija situation, I must add. ...you kept me praying silently - God help us! Thanks for sharing. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete